The mission of Hope For The Hungry is to "Share the Bread of Life with a Starving World". God has called us to serve people who suffer from hunger that is both spiritual and physical. According to scriptural mandate, we offer food for the body and salvation for the spirit to those who do not know Jesus Christ and will suffer eternal death without Him.

Friday, February 20, 2015

Play, Rain, & Generous Obedience

Today was fun.  Stephanie was able to complete all the observations and research for the Guibert school today.  School dismissed early today, so we had all afternoon to play.  The Boy's Home Director, Rosena, brought out a box full of toys for the boys.  We bounced balls, built with tinker toys and blocks, drew pitcures, and threw the Frisbee.  It was loud, chaotic, and full of laughter and joy.

It rained today too.  This is actually the dry season in Haiti, which usually lasts until late March, but today it rained.   Haiti has a tenuous relationship with the rain.  Too much results in floods and mudslides.  Not enough rain kills crops and livestock.   Every one seemed grateful for this rain.  It was not hard to understand why as I looked across normally green farmland turned brown during this time of year.  I asked one man what most of the people, who are so dependent on what they grow, do during this time of year.  He said, "They have to have great faith."

I have learned a great deal about faith in God's provision over the last several years, but I don't understand it the way that the believers here understand it.  I get frustrated when I go to the grocery store and they don't have any good avacados, but I don't have to stand next to my barren avacado tree and wonder how I am going to feed my family.  God is trustworthy to provide, even in the dry season.

I have seen God provide in some miraculous ways that continually amaze me.  But most often, I see God provide in the small, quiet obedience of His generous children.  The impact that is being made here is a direct result of the generous obedience that trickles into Hope for the Hungry every month. But the need is great and the need is growing.  How is God calling you into obedience and generosity today?   God will provide for you but He also wants you to experience the joy and freedom of His provision THROUGH you.  Praise the Lord in advance for what He will do.  For more information or to make a donation, please visit http://www.hopeforthehungry.org/ways-to-give-2/


No comments:

Post a Comment